Pasco-Hernando State College
Help Desk Technician
|Job Title||Help Desk Technician|
|Reports to||Executive Director of Network Services|
Varies depending on position
Job TitleHelp Desk Technician
Reports toExecutive Director of Network Services
Responsible for receiving requests for computer, network, and telephone support districtwide; maintaining software inventory; and assisting with hardware inventory.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are not exhaustive but illustrate the general duties required of the position. Management may require personnel to perform duties other than those contained in this document.
- Answers and tracks incoming calls and e-mail requests for technology assistance, including assistance for college PC hardware and peripherals, new equipment/software installations or upgrades, videoconferencing equipment, and telephone and network connectivity.
- Troubleshoots calls to support the efficiency of Computer/Network Support and Telecommunications Specialists.
- Generates help desk tickets and forwards service requests to the appropriate technician; monitors open tickets, provides update status to users, and generates data collection for performance monitoring.
- Creates/maintains computer software inventory and assists with the database for the computer refresh schedule.
- Maintains central file for licenses for software, computer hardware and related peripherals.
- Scans Property Transfer forms for the Network Department and performs data entry.
- Identifies basic training needs for College personnel and provides such training, as needed.
- Provides back-up technical support for the Computer/Network Support Specialists where needed.
- Troubleshoots and installs computer hardware and software programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
These requirements are a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as an exhaustive list of specific duties and responsibilities. Management may direct employees to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- An Associate’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and 6 years of relevant experience;
- A Standard high school diploma or GED and a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience;
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Intermediate computer skills with six month’s experience as a Help Desk Technician
- Experience in troubleshooting computer software problems
- Advanced customer relations skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to control and manage several projects simultaneously
- Working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills
- Evening hours are required to handle calls, technical support, and hardware repair
The physical expectations of this job are listed below. Terms and descriptions are as defined by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated as Light Work.
- Associate degree in Computer Science from a regionally accredited institution and industry recognized computer certifications.
- 6 – 8 years of relevant experience
Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Salary and benefits will be assigned as determined by PHSC's Board approved compensation plan. Duty days and assigned hours shall be determined by PHSC. Please contact Human Resources for questions regarding salary determination or benefit eligibility at 727-816-3406.
Pasco-Hernando State College is an equal opportunity and equal access higher education institute that promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace.