Pasco-Hernando State College
Coordinator of Veteran Services
|Job Title||Coordinator of Veteran Services|
|Reports to||Assistant Dean of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management|
Varies depending on position
Job TitleCoordinator of Veteran Services
Reports toAssistant Dean of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
Provides district-wide coordination of Veteran Student Services to include certification, reporting, recruitment, enrollment processes and procedures, as well as compliance with all federal and state policies related to veteran’s benefits and requirements. Also serves as advisor and assists students in planning a program of educational study, in the selection of courses, and in the preparation and registration of a class schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are not exhaustive but illustrate the general duties required of the position. Management may require personnel to perform duties other than those contained in this document.
- Serves as lead certifying official and liaison between Department of Veterans Affairs and the College to ensure compliance with VA Education regulations.
- Trains campus advisors on veteran regulations and certification processes. Performs site visits at all campuses to ensure file completion.
- Ensures timely and correct certification of veteran student enrollments. Advocates for veteran students for fair and timely distribution of eligible benefits.
- Conducts outreach for purposes of recruitment and veteran benefits awareness. Serves on the Pasco-Hernando Veterans Services Committee.
- Attends veteran services related training conferences and workshops to stay informed on policies and regulations.
- Coordinates veteran orientation programs and co-curricular veteran related activities.
- Responsible to recommend College policies and procedures related to serving veteran students.
- Collaborates with the Financial Aid and Financial Services Office for the correct billing, receipt and account of funds for various veteran chapters as defined by the Department of Veteran Affairs.
- Assists students in planning a College program of study, interpreting college-placement test scores and determining readiness to begin college level work, career advisement and performs other academic advising, as needed.
- Assists students in scheduling courses, determining the appropriate class schedule and registering them for classes.
- Recruits, markets, and registers high school students and other college-bound individuals or groups.
- Serves as a liaison with area high schools and other community groups.
- Keeps students informed of transfer requirements.
- Assists the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management with functions related to academic advising, also helps with related follow-up and retention reports/initiatives.
- Assists in implementing the College Equity Plan in accordance with its provisions.
- Assists with developing and implementing appropriate goals and objectives in the College's Strategic Plan.
- Hires, trains, and supervise student workers and support staff on VA Educational benefits.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
These requirements are a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as an exhaustive list of specific duties and responsibilities. Management may direct employees to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience with Veterans Services
- Ability to work under deadlines and with all levels of college students
- Computer literacy and knowledge required
- Must have good public speaking ability and good interpersonal relationship skills with diverse groups
- Must be able to work some evening hours and occasional Saturdays
- Experience in student advisement required
The physical expectations of this job are listed below. Terms and descriptions are as defined by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull or move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Recruitment at the post-secondary level
Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Salary and benefits will be assigned as determined by PHSC's Board approved compensation plan. Duty days and assigned hours shall be determined by PHSC. Please contact Human Resources for questions regarding salary determination or benefit eligibility at 727-816-3406.
Pasco-Hernando State College is an equal opportunity and equal access higher education institute that promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace.