Pasco-Hernando State College
Coordinator of Retention and Counseling Services
|Coordinator of Retention and Counseling Services
|Dean of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
Varies depending on position
Job TitleCoordinator of Retention and Counseling Services
Reports toDean of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
Coordinates collegewide student retention initiatives and counseling services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are not exhaustive but illustrate the general duties required of the position. Management may require personnel to perform duties other than those contained in this document.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates new and continuing retention programs and services in collaboration with the Assistant Deans of Student Affairs, Dean of Admissions & Enrollment Management, and the Dean of Financial Aid.
- Creates, evaluates, distributes, and maintains data pertinent to student retention and completion. Establishes plans of action to address negative attrition/retention patterns and to enhance positive patterns of enrollment.
- Oversees the processes of the College’s faculty alert program.
- Supervises the Peer Mentor program college-wide, collaborating with all campuses to ensure resource promotion, student outreach and support.
- Provides academic/life coaching and crisis intervention to students in need of support.
- Serves as liaison with the student assistance program to include coordination of contract and services provided. Works collaboratively to ensure that counseling services are promoted, utilized, and monitored.
- Works collaboratively with the Assistant Deans of Student Affairs, Advisors, and other College personnel to develop academic and career success plans for students.
- Participates in various departmental, campus and College events on initiatives related to retention and student success.
- Serves on the Council of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management, Advising Committee, Behavioral Investigation Team and other committees as assigned.
- Coordinates the Annual Welcome and Engagement Team activities, in collaboration with Student Life coordinators and assistant deans of Student Affairs.
- Designs and oversees New Student Orientation programs in coordination with the assistant deans of Student Affairs.
- Works with the Assistant Deans of Student Affairs and Academic Technology to assess and coordinate effective student orientation and enrollment management and retention programs.
- Assists with the preparation of the college data assessment and state and federal reports.
- Develops advising strategies and methods based on current trends, data, and research to enhance student retention and completion, working in coordination with the assistant deans of Student Affairs and Marketing and Communications Office.
- Tracks first-time in college student’s academic progression.
- Assists with the planning and coordination of professional development training related to retention and counseling services.
- Works with the Marketing and Communications Office on relevant needs regarding retention.
- Assists with developing, implementing, and evaluating appropriate goals and objectives in the college's long range plan.
- Chairs college student discipline committees and manages the College’s student discipline files.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
These requirements are a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as an exhaustive list of specific duties and responsibilities. Management may direct employees to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Master's degree from regionally accredited institution.
Counseling or related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Three (3) years’ experience in counseling, retention, or retention related programs at a postsecondary institution required, preferably at a community/state college.
- Demonstrated experience in working with and providing strategies for student success and retention programs.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel throughout the Pasco-Hernando State College service district as required.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver license and satisfactory driving record. Satisfactory background check required.
The physical expectations of this job are listed below. Terms and descriptions are as defined by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull or move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
- Knowledge and skills related to student development/services programs strongly preferred.
- Skills and experience with spreadsheets and databases.
- Experience in student disciplinary processes.
Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Salary and benefits will be assigned as determined by PHSC's Board approved compensation plan. Duty days and assigned hours shall be determined by PHSC. Please contact Human Resources for questions regarding salary determination or benefit eligibility at 727-816-3406.
Pasco-Hernando State College is an equal opportunity and equal access higher education institute that promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace.