Pasco-Hernando State College
Campus Maintenance Mechanic I
|Job Title||Campus Maintenance Mechanic I|
|Reports to||Campus Facilities Coordinator (West and Porter) (Primary), Plant Manager (East, North and Spring Hill) (Primary)|
Varies depending on position
Job TitleCampus Maintenance Mechanic I
Reports toCampus Facilities Coordinator (West and Porter) (Primary), Plant Manager (East, North and Spring Hill) (Primary)
Perform skilled work in repair and maintenance of buildings, including air conditioning, plumbing, and electrical equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are not exhaustive but illustrate the general duties required of the position. Management may require personnel to perform duties other than those contained in this document.
- Overhauls and services heating, air conditioning and refrigeration units to include, but not limited to: replacing or adjusting worn or broken parts in condensers, compressors, water pumps, and vacuum pumps.
- Makes repairs to specialized mechanical equipment. Calibrates and adjusts equipment and testing devices.
- Tests refrigeration equipment to include, but not limited to: replacing or adjusting valves, piping connections, fittings, and couplings. Repairs leaks and add gas to refrigeration units. Reclaims gas as needed. Maintains refrigerant log as required by law.
- Removes and installs motors and other electrical devices. Adjusts expansion valve, adjust or change belts, replace gasket and hardware. Adjusts or repairs hot water heaters and water coolers. Installs conduit, breakers and wiring to repair electrical systems.
- Performs troubleshooting on all types of HVAC and electrical equipment to determine the source of faulty operation. In addition, must learn the Tracer Summit computer system within one (1) year of employment. Must maintain updates on software and changes in the system.
- Performs preventive maintenance on all types of HVAC and electrical equipment. Checks gauges, makes inspections, and maintains records of reports and maintenance programs.
- Coordinates and/or performs regular and preventive maintenance activities on campus to include, but not limited to: (a) Inspects and/or changes HVAC filters per preventative maintenance schedules. (b) Inspect and adjust or change belts on HVAC equipment per Preventative Maintenance Schedules. (c) Lubricate all pumps, motors and bearings per Preventative Maintenance Schedules. (d) Inspects all plumbing and coordinates the repairs of water leaks, sewer leaks, or broken fixtures. (e) Assist in coordinating contractual work of any type for all buildings. (f) Repair or replace interior and exterior light fixtures. (g) Inspect and clean condenser and evaporator coils as necessary.
- Adjusts work procedures and/or schedule to meet production needs.
- Recommends measures to improve efficiency, such as changes in maintenance policies and procedures.
- Assists in preparing cost estimates on maintenance projects.
- Requisitions maintenance supplies and materials through the Campus Facilities Coordinator or Plant Manager for North, East, West and Spring Hill Campuses.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
These requirements are a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as an exhaustive list of specific duties and responsibilities. Management may direct employees to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Standard high school diploma or GED from regionally accredited institution.
- Completion of basic HVAC courses and/or field experience
- Three years experience in facilities maintenance or building trades as a commercial HVAC technician with electrical repair knowledge, and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to climb ladders, operate equipment and work outdoors.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Basic knowledge of the practices, methods, materials and tools used in building, air conditioning, electrical, plumbing, carpentry and mechanical trades.
- Skilled in the use and care of tools, equipment and materials of the HVAC trade.
- Ability to read blue prints and work from oral or written instructions.
- Skilled in reading comprehension, writing, and basic mathematics knowledge.
- Satisfactory back X-ray required.
- Must be able to lift 60 pounds.
- Must have and maintain valid Florida Driver License and satisfactory driving record.
- The position may require a varying work schedule that involves daytime, evening, and/or weekend hours.
The physical expectations of this job are listed below. Terms and descriptions are as defined by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Salary and benefits will be assigned as determined by PHSC's Board approved compensation plan. Duty days and assigned hours shall be determined by PHSC. Please contact Human Resources for questions regarding salary determination or benefit eligibility at 727-816-3406.
Pasco-Hernando State College is an equal opportunity and equal access higher education institute that promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace.